Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Coleridge Cambridge
  • /
  • Cherry Hinton Road
  • Back Forward
Double wooden doors with leaded glass panels set in a brick and stone archway, with a hanging lantern and tall hollyhocks.

Free Church Chapel Cherry Hinton Road

Non-conformist church Cherry Hinton Road

Notes on the history of the non-conformist chapel Cherry Hinton Road Cambridge

Methodists met initially in Morley Memorial School and then in 1903 in a private house, Ceylon Villa, 132 Blinco Grove, owned by George Bland. Under his leadership Baptists, Congregationalists, Methodists and Presbyterians united to purchase a plot on Cherry Hinton Road in 1901.

On Wednesday 30th December 1903 a service of song entitled ‘Carol Singing’ was given at Morley Memorial School to raise money for the proposed Cherryhinton Free Church. It was organised by young people attending the temporary chapel in Blinco Grove. Gipsy Smith presided and George Bland conducted the singing. It was announced that £110 had already been raised of the £390 required for the project.

A Free Church chapel was opened there in 1904 and the following year the first pastor, Frederick Tizzard, was appointed. Meanwhile Free Church Mission children had been taught in the hall of St John’s nearby.

In 1906 the first pastor expelled one of his deacons at an open meeting. Apparently Mr Tizzard issued an ultimatum, either he went or the church expelled the deacon Mr Betts and his wife. Mr Tizzard claimed they should be expelled for “the sin of scandal … a most abominable sin and outrage upon Christian brotherhood.”

Black and white Ordnance Survey map detail showing residential blocks, a preparatory school, and a Congregational church.

East end of Hartington Grove 1927

In 1916 it was one of only five such Free Churches in the country and in 1920 changed its named to The Free Church Cherryhinton Road. By 1922, when it was clear that the Free Church movement had only a limited future, its members voted to join the Congregationalists. A new chapel building was started in 1926  and completed in 1928 at a cost of £6,000. The architect was Norman Myers of Spalding anf Myers; it was built during the General Strike and there were fears of sabotage, but Mr Thurley, the foreman for the builders Kerridges, watched over the building and there was no trouble. A hall added as a memorial for the World War II dead. Pevsner describes it as ‘ neo-Perp, with twin porches set jauntily at the diagonals.’

Another man closely involved in the beginnings of the Free Church was James Thomas Bailey, a commercial traveller who worked for Prido, the milk and butter people. He lived at Dunelm, 92 Hartington Grove.

There is a history of Cherryhinton Road Congregational Church written by Rev. N J W Appleton.

In the 1950s there was a satellite class of Morley Memorial School located at the church (News and Crier 6.10.2011),

In 1965 the church became an official part of the Congregationalist Church but by 1987 was a United Reformed Church. Most Congregational churches joined the URC on formation in 1972.

A rectangular sign on a red brick wall reads St. Athanasios Greek School with a shield featuring a book, map, and cross.

In 2015 the buildings were bought by the Greek Orthodox church and it is now the church of St Athanasios. One of the buildings is used for a Saturday school which is attended by over 100 children (2016).

Sources: Cambridge News (Cambridgeshire Collection), interview


Peter West went to the Congregationalist Chapel as a young man. In 2016 he recalled just how popular a venue it had been:

https://cms.capturingcambridge.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/West05-GkOrth1.mp3

The minister not only preached but organised trips to London shows:

https://cms.capturingcambridge.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/West07-GrkOrth2.mp3

Tags

  • chapel
  • school

Projects

  • Cherry Hinton Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Cherry Hinton Road

Baptist Chapel, Middle Watch, Swavesey

Free Church, Rampton

Manor School, Manor Farm, Arbury Road

101 Cherry Hinton Road, Glencaple

105 Cherry Hinton Road, The Bakery

26 Cherry Hinton Road, Llandaff House

202 Cherry Hinton Road, Ray Bert Cottage, Cambridge

audio

159 Cherry Hinton Road, 2 Middleton Terrace, Cambridge

160 Cherry Hinton Road, Grove Stores/Marden House, Cambridge

211 Cherry Hinton Road, 3 Palgrave Terrace, Cambridge

134 Cherry Hinton Road, Cumbria

243 Cherry Hinton Road, 3 Rhianva Terrace, Cambridge

60 Cherry Hinton Road, (13)