Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Aldreth
  • Back Forward
Reverse side of a 1916 postcard featuring handwritten ink cursive, a Cambridge postmark, and a green King George V halfpenny stamp.

Postcard to Edith Carless, The Stores Aldreth – 29.8.1916,

Aldreth data

History of The Stores, Aldreth

Aldreth was one of main focal points in William the Conqueror’s campaign, from 1069, against Hereward the Wake. Here the fen between Aldreth and the isle of Ely where Hereward’s forces were, was only about 4 furlongs  (800m) in width, and therefore a suitable point for a causeway.

Hand-drawn map of the Fens showing locations, dashed lines for routes, and symbols for castles, camps, and coastlines.

Map of Military Activities in the Fens (c1067-1072/3) from A Letter from the Fens by T A Bevis

The map above shows the key position Aldreth held, other routes taken and the position of key fortifications.

William’s first attempt at a causeway collapsed. His second was set fire to by Hereward’s forces. It was not until 1072 that William’s army took control.

See also Defending Cambridge, M Osborne (2013)p.29f


Publications that contain much anecdotal information about Aldreth include:

Shilling, shutknife and piece of string, by Madge Close 2004. Madge grew up at Bradfield farmhouse.

Then and Now, Aldreth, Barrie Coombes 2012


Postcard sent to Edith Carless c/o Mrs R Prime, The Stores, Aldreth

Edith Carless’s family were very local. In 1911 the Carless family were living in Aldreth Road, Haddenham.  James Aldreth, 40, was a horsekeeper. Edith was born in 1900.

A path bordered by large, mature trees leads into the distance with a solitary figure walking along the shaded gravel.

Queen’s Road (The Backs) c1916

Reverse side of a 1916 postcard featuring handwritten ink cursive, a Cambridge postmark, and a green King George V halfpenny stamp.

Postcard to Edith Carless, The Stores Aldreth – 29.8.1916,


Eleven men in dark football kits pose in three rows on grass with a central ball, some wearing shirts with AUFC lettering.

Aldreth football team c.1920s (Cambs Collection)

Tags

  • medieval

Projects

  • Aldreth

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Aldreth

15 Church Lane

St Mary and the Holy Host of Heaven, Cheveley

St John the Evangelist, Little Wilbraham

36 High Street, Aldreth

Aldreth Farm, High Street

Bradfield farmhouse, Aldreth

audio

Thulborn Brothers

De Gestis Herwardi Saxonis