Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Ashley
  • Back Forward

Gesyns moated site, Asley

History of Gesyns moated site

Scheduled Monument

The moated site takes its name from the de Guisnes family who held the manor of Ashley between 1166 and 1303. By 1338 the manor was held by the Knights Hospitallers under Roger de Dalton, a formar Templar. However, in 1356 a Roger de Guisnes witnessed a local land grant, implying that the de Guisnes family was still active in the area at this time.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • medieval

Projects

  • Ashley

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Ashley

Appletree Cottage, Burrough Green

Whittlesford Grove, 27 North Road, Whittlesford

Pig and Abbot (Derby and Joan), Abington Pigotts

Dip Cottage, 28 Mill Road, Ashley

All Saints, Ashley

Rayners Cottage, 28 Church Street, Ashley

28 Church Street, Rayners Cottage, Ashley

33 Church Street, Ashley

Waverley House, 29 Church Street, Ashley

Ashley green

The Old Plough, High Street, Ashley

The Crown, Newmarket Road, Ashley

Dukes Stud, 36 Newmarket Road, Ashley