Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Ashley
  • Back Forward
Ink drawing of a timber-framed building with a pitched roof and a large tree in the foreground.

Ashley, Templar chapel in 1955

Grange of Knights Hospitaller, Ashley Cum Silverley

History of Grange

Between 1265 and 1272 50 acres in Ashley was given to the Hospitallers of Chippenham by William Ranulf to found a chantry chapel and then in 1279 a further 200 acres in Silverley.

During the 15th century the Order needed to maximise their resources in the defence of Rhodes against the Turks, so their land here was let as secular manors.

In 1949 the remaining building was described as a simple rectangular timber-framed building. It was pulled down in 1955.

Tags

  • medieval
  • Religious House

Projects

  • Ashley

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Ashley

St Michael and All Saints, Caldecote

Iron Age settlement at Witchford

St Mary, Mepal

28 Church Street, Rayners Cottage, Ashley

Old School House, 21 Mill Road, Ashley

Ashley Scrapbook

The Old Plough, High Street, Ashley

Waverley House, 29 Church Street, Ashley

Dukes Stud, 36 Newmarket Road, Ashley

St Mary, Ashley

Ashley green

St Mary, Ashley

The Crown, Newmarket Road, Ashley