Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Barway
  • Back Forward
A stone building with a gabled end and arched window sits behind a white fence, with a vintage car parked on the road.

Barway church, 1934 (photo W M Palmer) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

St Nicholas, Barway

History of St Nicholas

Listed Building

Chapel of Ease to Soham minster Church, converted to a house in 1970s, retaining much of the fabric and original detail of the C14 nave and rebuilt C19 chancel. Clunch and Barnack limestone with steeply pitched roof of slate. (Historic England)


Barway suffered in the farming recession of the 1920s. In 1972 it was proposed that the tiny church, unused for the last ten years, be converted into a house.

A detail from a 1901 Ordnance Survey map showing the village of Barway, including St. Nicholas’s Church, buildings, and fields.

Barway OS 1901

Tags

  • church
  • Listed building
  • medieval

Projects

  • Barway

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Barway

12 & 14 Stonebridge Lane, Fulbourn

Rockery Bank, Upend

Key Cottage, 70 High Street, Meldreth

Harrimere Mill

Barway Scrapbook

Laburnum House, (The Bull), Barway

Roman site near Old Fordey Farm, Barway