Search by topic
Search by text
St Mary Magdalen, Ickleton
History of St Mary Magdalen
Parish church. Late C11 nave and arcades, clerestorey, north aisle and lower part of tower. Late C13 or early C14 inserted arches to north and south of central tower and transepts. Tower heightened c.1340. South aisle widened and rebuilt with south transept. C14 south porch and upper clerestorey with new nave roof. Spire added to tower. South porch, rebuilt with vaulted roof late C14. Chancel rebuilt mid C15, north chapel and vestry added.
Wall paintings mid C12 true frescoes, arranged in two tiers above with arcade, four passion scenes and three martyrdoms of St Peter, St Andrew and St Laurence; C14 Doom painting over chancel arch with Christ and the Virgin.
According to memorials of Ickleton, 1945, church built shortly after Norman Conquest, though some believe arcades and the west doorway are Saxon.
Four monolithic columns believed to have been brought from a Romano-British temple at Great Chesterford.