Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Ely
  • Back Forward
A half-timbered house with a stone ground floor and tiled roof stands next to a church tower under a blue sky with clouds.

29 St Mary’s Street, Ely (RGL2025)

Cromwells House, 29 St Mary’s Street, Ely

History of 29 St Mary's Street

Listed Building

Mainly a C16 timber-framed and plastered house with exposed timber framing on the front block. A brick and stone wing extends to the south at the rear. It has some traces of earlier work including stone arches of circa 1380. Two storeys.

A postcard featuring a two-story house with chimneys, framed by a decorative border with the handwritten date 21/10/03.

Cromwell House, Ely c.1900

A two-story brick and timber-framed house covered in light snow, with the cathedral tower visible in the background.

Cromwell House c.1906

1939

Maurice H Knowles, 1888, clerk in Holy Orders


According to a survey of Ely made in 1416 a house is described adjoining the church yard which seems to have been the one known later on as the Rectory, Cromwell House, and then the Vicarage. The earliest house was probably built by the Priors of Ely for use by the Brethren appointed in charge of the Tithe. Later the receipts of the Tithe were farmed out to the Styward family for collection. In 1636, on the death of Sir Thomas Thomas Styward, Oliver Cromwell,  Styward’s nephew, assumed the role and was followed by other so-called ‘farmers’ until the death of the last of those to hold the post, Jonathan Page, in 1840.

In 1843 the Dean and Chapeter sold the house to Jospeh Rushbrook, landlord of the Cromwell Arms.

1871 sold to Henry Lawrence

1890 bought by Dr Beckett

1905 sold by Dr Beckett’s widow to Dr Punchard.

See: Cromwell and the old house at Ely by E G Punchard (1906)

Tags

  • Listed building
  • tudor

Projects

  • Ely

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Ely

3 & 5 Brook Street, Elsworth

46 Abbey Street, Ickleton

Brown’s Farmhouse, 54 Boxworth Road, Elsworth

Never Done: Memories of Work and Life in the Fen Country

High Flyer Cottages, Ely

31 Fore Hill, Ely

Broad Street Primary School and Teacher’s House, Ely

26 Fore Hill, Ely

1 Victoria Street, Ely

Royal Oak, Station Road, Ely

Drake Diaries of Sutton in the Isle: Fenland Family, Farming and Village Life

48 St Mary’s Street, Ely

3, St Mary’s Street, Ely