Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Ely
  • Back Forward
A two-story stone building with a tiled roof stands behind a small boat containing five seated men along a riverbank.

Cutter Inn, Ely c.1875. In background is Adam Bryant’s House and Appleyard’s boatyard

Babylon Island, Ely

History of Babylon Island

A 1901 Ordnance Survey map detail showing buildings, the label Boat House, and numeric plot references.

Ely OS 1901

A small boat with three figures sits on the water before a timber building with a tiled roof and a sign reading C Appleyard.

Appleyard’s Boatyard Ely c.1870. This business, later Appleyard Lincoln, was on the ‘island’ of Babylon, between the river and the railway.

A man carries a bundle of long reeds past willow trees near a riverbank where a small dog stands in a wooden rowboat.

Cutting osiers at Babylon, Ely c. 1900

Two old buildings stand behind a row of slender, bare trees beside a stretch of dark water in this black and white print.

Babylon, Ely c.1910

Projects

  • Ely

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Ely

16 Hills Lane, Ely

Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Ely

31, St Mary’s Street, Ely

Old Needhams School (Cambridgeshire & isle of Ely County Council Teacher’s Centre)

Cromwells House, 29 St Mary’s Street, Ely

57 Silver Street, Ely

The Chantry, Palace Green, Ely

Black Bull, 19 Waterside, Ely

51 Broad Street, Ely

Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Ely