Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Ely
  • Back Forward
A tinted postcard showing a grassy path leading to an arched stone gatehouse between two brick buildings with tiled roofs.

Porchway, Steeple Gate, High Street, Ely (undated)

16 & 18 High Street, Steeple Gate, Ely

History of Steeple Gate Ely

Listed Building

No. 16 is an early-C16 timber-framed building which incorporates Steeple Gate, a pedestrian gateway to Ely Cathedral, while No. 18 is an C18 shop, both with later alterations. Beneath the two buildings, which are now (2017) occupied by a cafe, is C14 lierne vaulted cellar.

A stone-paved courtyard fronts brick buildings with a white-walled gatehouse under a blue sky, viewed from a grassy area.

Steeple Gate, High Street Ely (photo DG 2022)

Then and Now (David Gent) – Steeple Gate, High Street, Ely.

The view from the Cathedral through the gate towards the High Street. The description from the Heritage Gateway website is “Steeple Gate is a medieval gateway that originally led into area of the lay peoples’ cemetery. It was a tower gateway with two tenements on each side that belonged to the prior and convent. The current wooden gate dates from the medieval period. Vaulted cellars beneath it date from c.1330, but the current structure dates from the 16th century. The timber-framed gateway at Steeple Gate was built during the Tudor period, but has retained its name from at least 1417, when it is mentioned in the survey of Ely. It is one of four tenements which are recorded as abutting on the gateway itself, two on the east and two on the west. It was one of the properties of the Sacrist of the monastery, and formed the gateway to the burial ground of the parish church of the Holy Cross, which abutted on the N side of the nave of the cathedral.
Steeple Gate was the entrance for parishioners of Holy Cross church, and later of Holy Trinity when it was established in the Lady Chapel in 1566. Steeple Gate also housed the parish bell.”

First picture is an undated postcard, second was taken a couple of weeks ago. I wonder why all the gravestones in the first picture have since been removed?

Then and Now

A tinted postcard showing a grassy path leading to an arched stone gatehouse between two brick buildings with tiled roofs.A stone-paved courtyard fronts brick buildings with a white-walled gatehouse under a blue sky, viewed from a grassy area.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • medieval
  • Then and Now
  • tudor

Projects

  • Ely

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Ely

10 Broadway, The Almshouses (Town Houses), Grantchester

Jubilee Memorial, The Broadway, St Ives

Manor Farm, 50 Church Street, Thriplow

5 Castlehythe, Station Road, Ely

3 High Street Passage, Ely

Black Swan, Station Road, Ely

Almonry, Sacrists Hall, Gate and Goldsmiths Tower, Ely

19 – 21 Forehill, Ely

7 Castlehythe, Station Road, Ely

19, St Mary’s Street, Ely

52a Waterside, Ely

3 Palace Green, Ely

27 Lynn Road, Ely