Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Littleport
  • Back Forward
The debris-strewn site of a factory containing a tall metal frame and large circular wheels, with several figures standing nearby.

Chaff Factory, Lynn Road, Littleport, after fire 1906

Chaff Factory / Forage Works, Lynn Road, Littleport

History of the Chaff Factory

A grainy, low-contrast long shot of factory buildings with a tall thin chimney rising above a snow-covered landscape.

Chaff Factory, Lynn Road, Littleport, after rebuilding

the Chaff factory owned by D A Fyfe and Co., was built on Lynn Road in 1896. It manufactured horse fodder taking straw from local farms. It was destroyed by fire 31.6.1906 with damage worth £7,000.

The dark silhouettes of factory buildings with two tall chimneys stand against a hazy, smoke-filled sky in this vintage photo.

Chaff Factory, Lynn Road, Littleport, after fire 1915

It was rebuilt with modern equipment but on 23.4.195 it burned down again. It was never completely rebuilt but continued producing horse fodder until the late 1920s.

Projects

  • Littleport

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Littleport

Bank, Main Street, Littleport

40 Victoria Street, Littleport

The Limes, Church Lane, Littleport

16 & 18 Victoria Street, Littleport

Rusdale, 19 & 21 Victoria Street, Littleport

7 Station Road, The Fountain, Littleport

Sandhill Bridge, Littleport

38 Victoria Street, Littleport

Littleport Bridge

3 Granby Street, Littleport