Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Littleport
  • Back Forward
Two brick buildings stand along a sidewalk, with people posed behind a wooden picket fence in front of the structures.

Crabb’s Corner, Wellington Street, Littleport 1909

Wellington Street, Littleport

History of Wellington Street

Thomas Crabb ran a fried fish shop from his cottage here.


A row of two-story brick houses with ivy-covered walls lines a curving, unpaved street under a bright, overcast sky.

Hope House, Wellington Street c.1910

The upper rooms were used as a Dame school by Francis Ann Wise who set up the schools in the 1860s.

The lower part of the house became Mr Bamber’s radio and TV shop.


Alva Harlock, Boyhood Recollections of Littleport (1988), recalls there were two fish and chip shops run by Mrs Crabb. Ebenezer Levett had a farmyard and Mrs Wise ran a private school. Dr Glenfield Martin ran a general practice from the house once occupied by Mr A Price. Mrs Mary Atkins lived in a thatched cottage and took in boarders at 10s a week.

Projects

  • Littleport

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Littleport

The Swan, Littleport

32 Wellington Street, Littleport

Chaff Factory / Forage Works, Lynn Road, Littleport

Old White Hart Inn, Fisher’s Cottage, Littleport

19 Main Street, Littleport

Town Hall, Granby Street, Littleport

Church Lane, Littleport

Hall, Victoria Street, Littleport

The Grange, TGWU Convalescent Home, Littleport

13 Station Road, Littleport