Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Lode
  • Back Forward

Lode, 1935 (MoC228/54) exact junction unknown

Lode Data

History of Lode

Before Lode had its own church, residents of Lode and Longmeadow were expected to worship at Holy Trinity, Bottisham. Lode was formerly referred to as ‘Bottisham Lode’ or ‘Bottisham and Lode’. The railway station at Lode was named ‘Bottisham and Lode.’ It was only in 1894 that the village of Lode was officially recognized.

It was the Revd William Pugh of Bottisham (1811-1825) who first planned the establishment of a church at Lode. But it was not until the appointment of Revd John Hailstone at Bottisham that the plans for a church moved ahead, Meanwhile a Baptist chapel had been built in the village in 1832.

Lode, 1910, unknown location (Gillson)

There was a fire in 1853 that destroyed ten cottages and the carpentry workshop of William Webb. Because Webb had insured two of the cottages he was arrested on suspicion of arson but later released.

1935, Lode Junior Cricket team (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Projects

  • Lode

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Lode

Baptist Chapel and School Room, High Street, Lode

19 Station Road, Lode

The Hall, Lode Road, Lode

2 Mill Road, Lode

35, 37 Mill Road, Lode

32 High Street, Lode

17 Lode Road, Lode

47 Mill Road, Lode

Rose Cottage, Church Lane, Lode

38 High Street, Lode