Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Mepal
  • Back Forward
A two-story building with a tiled roof, prominent brick chimneys, and a low stone wall in the foreground, flanked by trees.

Fortrey’s Hall, Mepal, 1930 (photo J H Bullock) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Fortrey’s Hall, Mepal

History of Fortrey's Hall

The house was erected by Samuel Fortrey, (1622-1681) one of the original adventurers involved in the drainage of the fens. The house once had a fine garden. By 1984 the house was reported to be derelict. It was bought and renovated.

A 1901 Ordnance Survey map detail showing the Fortrey’s Hall building, numbered land plots, and boundary lines in Mepal.

Fortrey’s Hall, OS 1901

In Mepal Vignettes (2005) Emily Whitehead describes how, married only a few days, she was taken to live in her in-laws’ house near Fortrey Hall. Her husband was horse-keeper to Alfred Heading, the potato merchant. Later the couple moved to the village, 7 New Road.

 

Projects

  • Mepal

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Mepal

Mepal Scrapbook

Toll Gate / Toll Farm, Mepal

Three Pickerels (Three Fishes), Mepal

Fortrey House, Mepal

Gault Hole, Mepal

6 River Close, Mepal

Red Lion / Ladson House, Mepal

4 Sutton Road, Mepal

15 High Street, Mepal

Mepal House, 1 High Street, Mepal