Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Reach
  • Back Forward
A church and stone ruins stand behind a lane where a person leads a horse past a low wall and a house with a fenced garden.

St Etheldreda, Reach c.1938 (Photo L Cobbett) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

St Etheldreda, Reach

History of St Etheldreda

Listed Building

Parish church built in 1860 to south of original church of St John now only surviving as ruined east wall.


Vanishing Cambridge p.157 reports that the church was struck by lightening in 1958 and severely damaged. All the lights in the village went out. Electricity had only arrived at Reach five years before.

A lane in Reach with traditional houses lining the left and right sides and a distant church spire visible in the center.

Fair Green, Reach with St Ethedreda spire centre, 1930 (MoC143/57)

Tags

  • church
  • Listed building

Projects

  • Reach

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Reach

Mutlow Hill, Great Wilbraham

Tigh Buie, High Street, Hemingford Abbots

Wood Hall Farm, Balsham

Fullers Farmhouse, Reach

21 Great Lane, Reach

The Ship, Reach

Devil’s Dyke, Reach

22 & 23 High Street, Reach

The Hythe (Wharf), Reach

The Green, Reach

High Street (Main Street), Reach

24 High Street, White Horse Inn, Reach

White Roses, Vicarage, The Hythe, Reach