Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Snailwell
  • Back Forward
A brick mill building with patches of white render stands beside a stone cottage with a central chimney set in tall grass.

Mill and Mill cottage, Snailwell, 1930 (photo J H Bullock) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Mill, Snailwell

History of the corn mill

An 1884 Ordnance Survey map detail shows a Corn Mill, watercourses, trees, and land plots numbered 17, 18, 19, and 30.

Snailwell OS. map 1884

The watermill was gutted during World War One. There were three mills recorded in the Domesday Book. By 1910 there were only 31 dwellings in the village.

Tags

  • watermill

Projects

  • Snailwell

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Snailwell

Bottisham Water Mill, Bottisham Park

Quy Water Mill

Linton Mill, Mill Lane, Linton

Old Rectory, Snailwell

RAF Snailwell

Church Farm, Snailwell

The Hill, Snailwell

Roman villa, Snailwell

Church Farm Cottages, Snailwell

St Peter, Snailwell

Manor Farm, Snailwell

6 The Street, Snailwell