Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Hinxton
  • Back Forward
A white weatherboarded building with a tiled roof stands beside a river, featuring a brick archway over the water's edge.

Hinxton Mill (RGL2024)

Hinxton Mill

History of Hinxton Mill

Listed Building

Watermill and attached cottage. Cottage C17 with additions c.1766 (dated stack). Mill late C18 with C19 alterations. Timber-framed, plastered and weatherboarded; C19 gault brick. … The mill was last used in 1950 and is now owned by the Cambridge Cottage Preservation Society.

The Domesday book records 3 mills in 1086, worth 21s, 8s and 4d a year.

1279 a water mill is shared between the Hinxton manors

1698 one remaining water mill.

1781 An apprentice to the miller, Thomas Beans, had a term of indenture of 7 years for which 5s premium paid.

1870 advert in Cambridge Chronicle: a water corn mill with a good trade – driving three pairs of stones – immediate possession may be had.


1881 census: Mill House

Isaac Kemp, 68, agricultural labourer, b Hinxton

Elizabeth, 69, b Essex

Fred, 31, agricultural labourer, b Hinxton


1901

Fred Speed, 30, yardman on farm, b Hinxton

Mary A, 39, b Longstanton

Annie, 8, b Hinxton

Ellen, 7, b Hinxton

John, 6, b Hinxton

Mary, 3, b Hinxton


A black and white Ordnance Survey map of Hinxton showing Lordship Farm, the Corn Mill, and surrounding land parcels.

Hinxton, OS 1885

1913 water turbine installed after the death of the miller’s son who fell into the waterwheel and died.


1939 Mill Cottage

Algernon Croot, b 1877, miller and labourer

Annie Croot, b 1874

Algernon Croot,  b 1907, shop assistant grocery


1955 business closed. Algy Coot, son of last miller continued living in miller’s cottage.

1984 mill purchased by Cambridge Preservation Society.

A wooden sluice gate controls water flowing through a brick channel next to a white building surrounded by lush green foliage.

Hinxton Mill (RGL2024)

A person with a dark umbrella stands on a path by a sluice gate next to a flowing stream and lush green trees in Hinxton.

Hinxton Mill (RGL2024)

A light brick building with grey-painted windows and a door, featuring a hanging basket and a wooden gate in the foreground.

Hinxton Mill (RGL2024)

1998 Algernon Croot lived at Mill Cottage from 1913 until 1998. He was the church organist but achieved fame in the 1980s when he was taken into Addenbrookes hospital with malnutrition. Mr Croot was also a cyclist; he lived with his mother Annie until her death at 95. Algernon was once locked into the church by the vicar by accident and had to ring the church bells in order to be set free. He lost a job as a baker’s delivery boy when he allowed his horse to eat part of a yew hedge at the parsonage; the horse subsequently died. Later, during a threatened bread shortage he hoarded bread and even when it was covered in blue mould, proceeded to eat it. (See The Life and Times of Hinxton, 2000)

Tags

  • Listed building
  • watermill

Projects

  • Hinxton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Hinxton

The Cock, High Street, Hemingford Grey

Meadowcroft Farm, Lotfield Street, Orwell

8 Rose Crescent

St Mary and St John, Hinxton

42 High Street, Hinxton

29 High Street, Old Manor House, Hinxton

Fire Engine House, Hinxton

Sparrows Cottage, 44 High Street, Hinxton

Rose Cottage, High Street, Hinxton

Ford, Duxford Road

50 & 52 High Street, Hinxton

Hinxton Data

28 High Street, Hinxton