The steelyard in Fountain Lane was used for weighing carts and wagon loads of hay and straw until 1879 when the railway opened a weighbridge in Newmarket. It is one of two surviving in the country. The surrounding area was swept by fire in 1900. The steelyard building was one of few that survived. (Vanishing Cambridgeshire p.164)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.