Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Wicken
  • Back Forward

Wicken Fen school

History of Wicken Fen school

A 1926 Ordnance Survey map fragment shows Wicken streets, the school, Methodist church, almshouses, and land plot numbers.

Wicken OS 1926

The first school in Wicken was provided by Sarah Rayner of Wicken Hall in 1831. Percy John Walling became headmaster in 1906 and campaigned for a new building. This was built in 1908 and Mr Walling and his wife taught until 1946.

Tags

  • school

Projects

  • Wicken

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Wicken

National School, Wisbech Road, Littleport

18/19 Brookside, 18/19 Trumpington Road

2 Mackenzie Road

Rose Cottage, 25 North Street, Wicken

Lode Lane, Wicken

Breeds Farmhouse, 57 High Street, Wicken

Village Cross, Wicken

Lapwing Hall, Wicken

Wicken Hall, Church Road, Wicken

Methodist Chapel, Wicken

45 High Street, Wicken

7 Pond Green, Wicken

Red Lion Inn and village pump, Wicken