Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Fenland
  • /
  • Wisbech
  • Back Forward
Elevated view of The Crescent in Wisbech with curved brick townhouses, a villa with smoking chimneys, and mature trees.

Medworth’s Villa, The Crescent, Wisbech c1920

Medworth’s Villa, The Crescent, Wisbech

History of Medworth's Villa

1793 Joseph Medworth bought Thurloe’s Castle from the Bishop of Ely

c.1810 castle demolished and villa built. Medworth then built Ely and Union Places.

A detailed black and white Ordnance Survey map section showing the grounds of the former Wisbech Castle and The Crescent.

Wisbech OS 1925

Two long lines of soldiers in uniform stand facing each other on a street in front of a curved Georgian terraced building.

Crescent, Wisbech, WWI (Brown & Co)

Projects

  • Wisbech

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Wisbech

The Chapel of Ease, Octagon Church, Wisbech

Union Workhouse, Clarkson Hospital, Lynn Road, Wisbech

St Peter and St Paul, Wisbech

Chapel of Ease, Norwich Road, Walsoken

Admiral Nelson (Rodney), 16 North Street, Wisbech

9 & 10 North Street, Wisbech

38 North Brink, Wisbech

11 Market Place, Wisbech

38 & 39 Market Place, Wisbech

Wisbech Town Council, Corn Exchange, 1 North Brink