Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Coppingford
  • Back Forward

Hermitage, Coppingford Wood

History of Hermitage

Listed Building / Scheduled Monument

The moated site at Oak Grove is one of two well-preserved moats at Coppingford. The site survives essentially undisturbed and although excavated the site retains high archaeological potential.

The 1612 manorial survey of Sawtry St Judith refers to the site of a hermitage in Coppingford Wood. This is the site of the hermitage founded between 1225 and 1233 by Simon Costentin, lord of the manor of Coppingford.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • Religious House

Projects

  • Coppingford

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Coppingford

Holy Trinity, Great Paxton

Town Hall, (Isle of Ely County Hall), March

107 High Street, Huntingdon

12 Nelson Street, Cambridge

18 Clarendon Street

56 Kendal Way

Colin Hookham

16 High Green, Great Shelford

20 & 22 Riddy Lane, Bourn

St Botolph’s Church

Croftville, Church Street, Isleham

Little Manor House, 32 Church Road, Hauxton

41 Leys Avenue