Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Godmanchester
  • Back Forward

Emmanuel Knoll, Godmanchester

History of Roman barrow

C Fox (1923) in Archaeology of the Cambridge Area notes:

This barrow was on the top of a hill on the south side of the Roman road from Godmanchester to Cambridge, one mile from the former town. It was noticed in 1740 by Stukeley, who says that urns, etc, had been dug up there. 

The barrow was destroyed in 1914 but a careful record was made. A Roman urn and the remains of a box were found.

CAS Proceedings 1973 has a report on excavations here.

Tags

  • archaeology
  • Roman

Projects

  • Godmanchester

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Godmanchester

Parson’s Lane, Littleport

Little End, Eaton Socon

Hinxton Quarry

27 & 28 Post Street, Godmanchester

3 Cambridge Road, Godmanchester

59, 60, 62 Cambridge Street, Godmanchester

The Holme, 21 Post Street, Godmanchester

35, Post Street, Godmanchester

The Red House, 12a, 12b, 13 Post Street, Godmanchester

14 Pinfold Lane, Godmanchester

8 West Street, Godmanchester

11 New Street, Godmanchester

10 Silver Street, Godmanchester