Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Holywell cum Needingworth
  • Back Forward
A white, thatched-roof cottage with several dormer windows, flowerbeds, and two small animal-shaped ornaments on the roof.

The Front, Holywell (RGL2025)

Oak Cottage, The Front, Holywell

History of Oak Cottage

Listed Building

C16 cottage with inserted floor to hall dated 1593 on ceiling beam. One-storey and attic.


In 1881 the Tabbitt family were living in Back Street at 1 Manor Farm Cottages where Amelia was born. According to The Holywell Story by Joe Newell Fred’s wife, Amelia, was from Yelling. Fred at this time was Head Hersdman to the Sanders Spencer herd of Large and Middle White Yorkshire Pigs at Manor Farm. Mr Spencer was later to acknowledge that Fred Tabbitt’s remarkable knowledge of the breeding and showing of pigs had made a significant contribution to the success of the herd. In the course of his work he had travelled the countries of Europe and accompanied prize winning pigs at all the major Agricultural shows in Victorian England.


1891 Front Street

Fred Tabbitt, 41, farm servant,

Amelia, 41,

Fred, 22, ag lab., b Needingworth

Arthur, 20, ag lab., b Needingworth

James, 18, ag lab., b Needingworth

Annie, 12, b Needingworth

Nellie, 9, b Holywell

David, 7, b Holywell

Jenny, 5, b Holywell

The family moved to ‘Berry House’ on Holywell front where Fred kept a small herd of five cows, and two horses, Jenny and Fisher. Fred would sometimes take a sick person in his pony and cart to the Doctor at St Ives, or collect medicines from the surgery.


1901 Front Street

Frederick Tabbitt, 51, thatcher labourer,

Amelia, 51,

David, 17, gardener, b Holywell

Sarah, 15, housemaid, b Holywell

Mary, 8, b Holywell


1911 Berrio House, Holywell

Fred Tabbitt, 61, farmer,

Amelia, 61,

Mary, 18, b Holywell

Hubert James How Freeman, nephew, 11, b Holywell


1921

Frederick Tabbitt, 72, b Needingworth, smallholder retired

Amelia, 72, b Needingworth

clerk trade union, Mary, 28, b Holywell

Herbert James Freeman, visitor, 21, clerk trade union Nat Ass of Ass. Masters, b Holywell,

Frederick Arthur Chambers, grandon, 5, b St Ives


1928

Mary married Walter Wilmer and moved to The Pantiles.


1939

Frederick Tabbitt, b 1849, incapacitated

Frederick died in 1940


A white, thatched-roof cottage featuring two hare sculptures on the roof and a set of brick steps flanked by low box hedges.

The Front, Holywell (RGL2025)

Black and white view of cottages with thatched roofs bordering a narrow stream where two cows graze on the grassy bank.

Oak Cottage, Holywell

A man in a suit, a woman in a dark dress, and a younger woman in a light dress stand side-by-side against a leafy background.

Fred and Amelia Tabbitt with daughter Mary

Tags

  • Listed building
  • tudor

Projects

  • Holywell cum Needingworth

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Holywell cum Needingworth

10 Broadway, The Almshouses (Town Houses), Grantchester

North Road Farm, Whaddon

Hemingford Grey Manor

19 Church Street, Needingworth

Court Farmhouse, Silver Lane, Needingworth

The Queens Head, 30 High Street, Needingworth

House of Dream, Back Lane, Holywell

86 High Street, Needingworth

28 High Street, Needingworth

Old Inn (White Horse), Back Lane, Holywell

Old Ferry Boat Inn, Holywell

The Front, Holywell

The Brewery, Church Street, Needingworth