Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Huntingdon
  • Back Forward
A two-storey brick house with sash windows and dark shutters behind a brick boundary wall with white text written on it.

Cromwell House, Huntingdon c.1930

Cromwell House (Augustinian Priory), 82 High Street, Huntingdon

History of the Priory

Listed Building

Stands on the site of House of Austin Friars, founded circa 1285. Granted to Cromwell family at Dissolution and said to be the birthplace of Oliver Cromwell. The house was almost entirely rebuilt at the beginning of C19. It contains some recorded material and may in part incorporate older work. Circa 1830.

Little remains of the priory. It seems to have been founded shortly before 1258 when Henry III granted three oaks for the building. There was a major fire c.1286 and 8 further oaks were granted towards the repair. By 1335 there were 20 brethren. In 1663 permission was granted for an underground conduit from a well on Spring Common through the town to the monastery.

The priory was suppressed in 1538 by Richard Hinsley and was sold by the crown to Thomas Arden and Richard Long, from whom it was purchased by the Cromwell family.

Only the wall footings of a 16th century house survive; the rest was built circa 1830. There a substantial 13th stone wall with two doors.

A large, two-story stone house with a triangular pediment, ivy-covered facade, and tall windows set behind a wide lawn.

Cromwell House, Huntingdon c.1920

A two-storey white rendered building with a central porch featuring an ornamental crest, viewed behind a brick and iron fence.

Cromwell House, High Street, Huntingdon (RGL2026)

Sources

  • Book
  • Historic England
  • Photographs

Tags

  • Listed building
  • medieval
  • Religious House

Projects

  • Huntingdon

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Huntingdon

Lupin Cottage, 60 The Green, Weston Colville

12 The Green Histon

Green Farmhouse, 12 High Street, Haslingfield

Commemoration Hall, 39 High Street, Huntingdon

Cooks Bridge, Godmanchester

61 – 62 High Street, Huntingdon

67 High Street, Huntingdon

26 High Street, Huntingdon

Old Bridge Hotel, 3 High Street, Huntingdon

105 High Street, Huntingdon

28 High Street, Huntingdon

Market Inn, Huntingdon

County Hospital, Huntingdon