Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Huntingdon
  • Back Forward
Sepia-toned historical photograph of an ivy-covered chapel with a tall bell tower, enclosed by a low brick wall with piers.

St John’s Chapel, Huntingdon (Hunts Archives)

St John’s Chapel, Huntingdon

History of St John's Chapel

A chapel was built in 1845 on the site of an old Georgian theatre. It was built by local philanthropist Olivia Bernard Sparrow who wanted the navvies building the Great Northern Railway to use it. But soon after Lady Olivia’s death the chapel was closed.

WWII: used as a decontamination centre.

Sources

  • Huntingdon Archives

Tags

  • chapel
  • theatre
  • world war two

Projects

  • Huntingdon

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Huntingdon

40 Mowbray Road

78 Gwydir Street

150 Hills Road, Cambridge

26 High Street, Huntingdon

Cooks Bridge, Godmanchester

Gazeley House, 5 Princes Street, Huntingdon

Castle Hill House, 20 High Street, Huntingdon

57 High Street, Huntingdon

RAF Warboys

32, 36 Ermine Street, Huntingdon

97 High Street, Huntingdon

Lawrence Court, Princes Street, Huntingdon

The George Hotel, Huntingdon