Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Huntingdon
  • Back Forward

Priory Road Cemetery (Augustinian Priory of St Mary) Huntingdon

History of St Mary's Priory

In 972 AD King Edgar gave the Church of St Mary with an estate of 3 hides of land to Thorney Abbey. By 1086 this had been given to Eustace the Sheriff. The new priory was constructed shortly after 1086 by Eustace and was substantially complete by the middle of the 12th century.

By the 15th century the Priory was described as financially unsound, with mounting debts and decaying buildings. The situation was restored by the end of the century and by 1517 the buildings had been repaired. In 1534 the number of canons had dropped from 16 to 12, and at the Dissolution in 1538 only 8 were given pensions. The lands were sold and the buildings were pulled down.

Tags

  • Religious House

Projects

  • Huntingdon

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Huntingdon

104 – 106 Chesterton Road, Kasenga, Carmelite Convent, Cambridge

St John the Baptist, Royston

Barham Hall, Bartlow Road, Linton

The Bull, High Street, Huntingdon

Three Tuns, 139 High Street, Huntingdon

Augustinian Friary, Territorial Inn, Huntingdon

43a High Street, Huntingdon

High Street, Huntingdon

154 & 155 High Street, Huntingdon

73 Ermine Street, Huntingdon

4 Market Hill, Huntingdon

St John’s Cemetery, High Street, Huntingdon

Cooks Bridge, Godmanchester