Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Sawtry
  • Back Forward

Sawtry Judith

History of Sawtry Judith

Sawtry Judith is a deserted village that lay immediately to the south-west of Sawtry Abbey.

It was listed in the Domesday Book as a 10 hide manor held by Countess Judith niece of William the Conqueror with a population of 28 including a priest. The manor passed to her daughter Maud and then to her grandson Simon de St Liz, Earl of Northampton and Huntingdon. In 1147 the Earl founded the Cistercian Abbey of Sawtry on the site and endowed it with the manor of Sawtry Judith. It is possible that the village was cleared soon after this since Cistercian monasteries were supposed to be isolated from everyday life.

Certainly by the time the monastery was dissolved in the 16th century, the parish church and the village had gone. The modern Sawtry village at its south end occupies land that was in fact part of Sawtry Judith.

Tags

  • archaeology

Projects

  • Sawtry

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Sawtry

Settlement site at Manor Farm, Harston

Mill Common, Huntingdon

Iron Age Settlement, Barrington

Cottage, Grange Farm (Sawtry Abbey Grange)

Sawtry Cistercian Abbey

St Andrew, Sawtry

10 Green End Road, Sawtry