Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • St Neots
  • Back Forward
A historic street scene in St Neots showing a tall wrought iron gate on the right and people walking on the road and pavement.

New Street Baptist Church gate on right c.1911, St Neots. House visible on left is 27 New Street

27 New Street, St Neots

History of 27 New Street

27 New Street was the home of the St Neots Quadruplets born in 1935. An extension was built onto the existing house at the site. The babies were sponsored by a baby formula manufacturer and were frequently called upon for publicity work.

A blue plaque commemorating the birth of the quads has been fixed to the building at 27 New Street (in the Tan Yard elevation), stating “This house was home to the St Neots Quads. Born at Ferrers (sic) Avenue, Eynesbury on 28th November 1935 to Mr and Mrs Miles, they attracted national interest. A nursery was added to this house by H F Bull and sons and opened by the Minister of Health on 30th June 1936”. On Wednesday 9 March three of the quads, Paul, Ernest and Ann, returned to unveil the blue plaque; Michael was unable to attend as he lives in South Africa.

The babies were actually born at 11 Ferrars Avenue.

Projects

  • St Neots

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

St Neots

Brook Street cottages

St Neots Priory graveyard

7 Market Square, St Neots

War Memorial, St Neots

1 High Street, St Neots

9 Market Square, St Neots

The Priory House, St Neots

The Wrestlers, New Street, St Neots

28 Market Square, St Neots

32 Market Square, Paine’s Brewery, St Neots