1 Gresham Road (Place) (Owen Webb House)
History of 1 Gresham Place
William Pryor, retired ironmonger
Esther Pryor, mother, widow, 90, living on own means
Esther Pryor, sister
Mary Elizabeth Harrison, servant
Alice Andrews, 22, cook
William Pryor, 69, single, ironmonger and builders merchant, born Cambridge
Esther Pryor, 68, sister, housekeeper, born Cambridge
Mary Harrison, 42, servant, housemaid, born Whitby
Mary Webb, 24, servant, cook, born Bottisham
(1 Gresham Road)
Jonathan Gray wrote in 2017 about his family connections with 1 Gresham Place. His ancestors came from the Pryor and Gray families and can be seen on the photos. One is of the main door from the west, the other the side elevation from the north. In 1861 the Pryor family was running a fishmonger’s in Petty Cury. The elder James, ‘Jem’, Pryor had been one of a team of mail coach drivers on the London to King’s Lynn route. The arrival of the railway affected their business and the family became fishmongers and staymakers. They had a shop on Petty Cury opposite the modern entrance to the Lion Yard known as ‘MacFisheries.’
James the younger started his own fishmongers business in Hills Road whilst his brother William became an ironmonger. William never married at lived with his sister Esther.
By 1891, James’s family were living at The Hall, Milton.
By 1901, William and his sister Esther were living at 1 Gresham Road.
By 1911, the James’s family were living on Parker’s Piece at Furness Lodge.