Search by topic
Search by text
100 Mill Road, Wycombe House
History of 100 Mill Road
Ebenezer Nash, drapers
1917 – 1922:
John Brooks (1863-1938) and Susan Brooks (1865-1937): their first fish and chip shop was at 100 Mill Road. John’s occupation is first listed as a fishmonger on his son Harold’s marriage certificate dated 4 Novermber 1917. The fish shop is also listed at this address in 1920 but as closed by 1927 (Spalding’s Directory – Cambridge Reference Library). In 1922 the Brooks moved their fish and chip shop to 2 Kingston Street.
Previously John had been a foreman at Foster MIlls near Cambridge station (1911 – 1917) but lost his job after being found drunk at work. Prior to that the couple had met and married (1890) in Tiverton Devon and John had been a journeyman miller moving from mill to mill. They had apparently moved 18 times, with their seven children too, before they finally settled in Cambridge.
Both are buried in Cambridge Cemetry on Newmarket Road.