Playhouse c1936, CC ILK320129
44a Mill Road
Cambridge’s first purpose-built cinema
No. 44a is on the south side of Mill Road at the corner with Covent Garden. Originally a stonemason’s yard it became the second cinema on Mill Road in 1913 when a brand new building was created. It was closed after the introduction of the entertainment tax in 1963 (along with the Tivoli on Milton Road) and became a Fine Fare supermarket and then the much loved Sally Ann’s charity shop.
Read the complete building report (PDF)
Did You Know
The Playhouse was Cambridge’s first custom built cinema.
The cinema featured amber and pink spotlights, soft music, coloured curtains, gilded decor, blue-uniformed staff, and a facade with copper-domed towers and white marble steps.
The Fine Fare was Cambridge’s first modern supermarket with open shelves, a big display window, and a line of checkouts.
1868 – Stonemason’s Yard, R. S. Naylor
1878 – Stonemason’s Yard, George Mann
1884 – Stonemason’s Yard, George Bailey
1898 – Ivett & Reed
1913 – The Picture Playhouse
1930 – ‘Talkies’ introduced
1937 – Becomes an ABC cinema
1956 – Cinema closed
1963 – Fine Fare Supermarket
1985 – Sally Ann’s Charity Shop
In 1868, the site appeared to have been a stonemason’s yard (R. S. Naylor; by 1878 George Mann; by 1884 George Bailey). By 1898 it finally surrendered its role as a mason’s yard to the firm of Ivett & Reed, which had established itself across Mill Road, between the entrance to the Avenue of Limes and Mackenzie Road, and served the Cemetery. The corner of Covent Garden was now listed as ‛40 Bailey, George, The Windmill / 42 Whitehead, A. fruiterer’. That The Windmill was indeed a public house is lent credence in 1911, when George Bailey’s successor, Albert Brand, is listed as ‛licensed victualler’.
On 1 July 1912, Cymos Ltd of Sardinia House, Kingsway, London, submitted plans for the erection of a ‛Cinema Theatre’ in Cambridge. A new company was formed to build and operate the cinema: Cambridge Picture Playhouses Ltd, Norfolk Street, London.
The ‛Playhouse’ opened on Whit Monday, 12 May 1913. In 1927 the cinema was sold to the syndicate called Playhouse (Cambridge) Ltd, which operated the Central Cinema in Hobson Street. An image of the frontage from before 1935 shows the name given as ‛THE PICTURE PLAYHOUSE’ . In 1935, the company (by then Cambridge Cinemas Ltd) was taken over by the Union Cinema Co Ltd of Wardour Street, London, and the Playhouse was absorbed into the Union circuit, only for the company to be taken over in 1937 by Associated British Cinemas Ltd (ABC).
Interior – courtesy of Cambridgeshire Collection, L.K3 20131.
The side wall down Covent Garden is where cinema attendees would queue to get in to the show. Whilst waiting many would score their initials into the wall or simply make holes with the coins they held.
Side wall August 2015, photo by Simon Middleton
Fine Fare already had a store on Fitzroy Street, but that on Mill Road was the first to be called ‛Fine Fare Supermarket’, and to have open shelves and checkouts. The new store was opened in 1963, and operated for twenty-two years.
Courtesy of Cambridgeshire Collection, B.MILL.K70 1659
Sally Ann’s Charity Shop
The Salvation Army (Sally Ann’s) Charity Shop opened on 5 August 1985. It was unusual among charity shops at the time for having its own laundry facilities and canteen upstairs. Despite some uncertainties, the Charity Shop still trades in 2015.
Image courtesy of Ann Horn