Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Mill Road Area Cambridge
  • /
  • Mill Road
  • Back Forward
A black-and-white postcard showing a stone church with gothic windows, bordered by a low fence and a line of young trees.

St Barnabas church Cambridge postmarked 1910

St Barnabas Church, Cambridge

History of St Barnabas Church, Cambridge

The chancel was built 1869-70, the nave abd aisles 1878-87. According to Pevsner, the church is made of yellow brick and corsham stone and show a decorated tracery style reminiscent of c. 1280. The original design was for a tower and spire north of the chancel.

Gabled, brown brick church with pointed arched windows and a modern glass entrance, viewed from the street with a pedestrian.

St Barnabas Church, Cambridge (Photo DG 2022)

1898 27 October
Up till ten years earlier the chancel of the present St Barnabas Church had been the only place of worship in the extensive district. Largely because of Mr Sturton’s development of land for housing, the population had grown so rapidly that it became necessary to complete the church building, which was done in 1887. The replacement of the Mill Road level crossing by the Great Eastern Railway bridge gave further impetus to the growth of Romsey Town, leading to the establishment of St Philip’s and proposals for it to become a separate parish. Credit: Mike Petty Archive.

1906 1 January
A fire destroyed the Mill Road Boot Stores adjoining St Barnabas Church. The flames rose high enough to melt some of the lead in the church windows. The single-storey timber building, together with wooden packing cases behind it, posed a serious threat to neighbouring properties, including a thatched cottage and a stonemason’s yard. Credit: Mike Petty Archive.

1917 28 March
A large congregation gathered at St Barnabas’ Church, Mill Road, for the wedding of Private J. J. Caffrey VC of Nottingham to Miss Florence Avey of Great Eastern Street, Cambridge. The report recounts Caffrey’s exceptional bravery in rescuing wounded comrades under heavy fire, for which he received the Victoria Cross, and also notes his award of the Russian Cross of St George for an earlier act of gallantry. Credit: Mike Petty Archive.


Further information about this church can be found on their web site:

http://www.stbs.org.uk/

 

A black-and-white postcard showing a stone church with gothic windows, bordered by a low fence and a line of young trees.A Victorian brick church with pointed arches and stained-glass windows stands on a street corner under a cloudy sky.

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • Building of Local Interest
  • church
  • Church of England
  • Then and Now

Projects

  • Mill Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Mill Road

2 – 4 Ferry Lane / Water Street, Chesterton

Holy Trinity

Laundress Lane

197 Mill Road

378 Mill Road

documents

Romsey Labour Club, Mill Road, Cambridge

130 (27 Railway Cottages) Mill Road

27 Mill Road

348 Mill Road

256 Mill Road

documents

206 Mill Road, Cambridge

102a Mill Road

253 Mill Road