Search by topic
Search by text
The Cam Foundry
Student Residence on the site of Mackintosh's Foundry
The Cam Foundry is the current occupant of 315-349 Mill Road whose history as a Cement Works is described elsewhere. To link with its past special features have been commissioned.
CAM FOUNDRY BENCHES
Artist: Kirsty Brooks. Manufacturer: Bespoke Concrete
The sculptural benches in the pocket park have been cast in concrete and reflect the industrial history of the site. Bench forms are based on a blacksmith’s hammer, a floor nail, a partly formed blacksmith’s tong and an ornamental gate curve. When the cement works closed in 1919, the Cam Foundry and Ironworks occupied this site. Also known as ‘Mackintosh’s’, the business was active until the late 1960s as a forge, foundry and latterly a supplier of agricultural implements.
CAM FOUNDRY ENTRANCE
Artist: Kirsty Brooks. Manufacturer: Proto Glass Studios
The glazed entrance artwork has been created in collaboration with the Mill Road Community and the Cambridge Collection and Archives. The screen-printed enamels reflect the history of the site with a focus on Romsey Town Cement and Lime Works. The collaged design combines maps and planning documents from the late nineteenth century with company paperwork and advertising. Different images are printed on each face of the double-glazed units and can be seen together when lighting conditions allow.