Search by topic
Search by text
Reverend William Cole
Milton House, 28 Fen Road, Milton
History of Milton House
This is a Grade II* Listed Building. The Historic England entry is as follows:
House. C17 with additions c.1768, by William Cole, (1714-1782), Rector of Milton, (1770-82). Extension to north west c.1900. Timber framed and plastered, C18 local brick, reused medieval limestone. Plain tile roofs. Red brick ridge stack with four grouped diagonal shafts, modern end stack to north west. Two storeys and attics; original lobby entry three unit plan rearranged by Cole with roof raised and added gallery and hall and kitchem wing to north east. Main range extended by matching bay c.1900 and replastered with rough cast panels. Garden facade; four gabled dormer windows with casements c.1900, two original C18 and one modern two storey canted bay windows with eight- and twelve-paned hung sash windows with pattern glazing bars in top lights of ground floor windows; eight-paned hung sash windows between and half-glazed door. South east elevation with C18 two storey bay window. Street elevation; main entrance with C18 six-panelled door in moulded doorcase and three C18 cross-framed casement windows with leaded lights; brick gable of kitchen wing with carved medieval stones from Archbishop Rotherham’s Gateway (1480-1500) to the Old University Schools and inscription COLE MILTON 1776 HOUSE DEUM. Interior. Open string staircase with wall panelling following rake of handrail, early C17 panelling on both floors said to have been taken by Cole from The Halls, Haddenham, boxed ceiling beams, C18 chimney pieces and panelled doors, C18 gault floor tiles. (The beaufette in the kitchen, Cole’s drawing, recently removed.) Measured drawings by T. Faire 1980 Palmer, W.N. Wm Cole of Milton 1935 (including drawings by Cole and C19 photographs) R.C.H.M. (Cambs notes) 1963
William Cole was a Cambridge based antiquary.