Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
The Elms, Bateman Street

The Elms, St Mary’s Convent, Bateman Street

History of The Elms, Bateman Street

St Mary’s School, Cambridge was founded 1898 by the sisters of the Venerable Mary Ward and the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary. . The Sisters started out with two-day girls and two-day boarders. In 1904 the swelling numbers necessitated a change of venue and the Elms on Bateman Street was purchased for ¬£6,000. The house had a tradition which was very much in keeping with Mary Ward’s vision. It had previously belonged to Dr B H Kennedy, former Regius Professor of Greek at the University. As the school continued to grow other premises were added. Paston House was purchased in 1909. (Wikipedia)

1911:

Agnes Oates (M.Salome), head, 48, teacher, b Bristol

Julia Murphy, boarder, 31, teacher, b Cork

Teresa Murphy, boarder, 24, teacher, b Cork

Frances Wilson Lynch, boarder, 42, teacher, b Galway

Charlotte Wakelin, boarder, 37, Newnham student, b London

Mary Margaret Byrne, boarder, 37, teacher, b Liverpool

Annie Ornelia, boarder, 33, cook, b Yorks

Annie Hatfield. boarder, 41, housemaid, b Yorks

Mary C Salter, boarder, 25, university student, b Coventry

Ellen Brennan, boarder, 30, housemaid, b Liverpool

Alice Hatfield,  boarder, 37, laundry maid, b Yorks

Agnes Rimmer, visitor, 28, teacher, b Liverpool

Margaret Trail, visitor, 40, trains nurse, b Gloucs.

as well as 19 boarding female students aged 10-19 years old.

…………

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.