Search by topic
Search by text
History of Finch's Walk
1857: Romilly, the diarist’s, editor notes against the entry for 28th June 1857: Charles Finch (1787-1866) was the last of the Finches, iron-founders of market Hill. He became mayor in 1848 and the gravel path leading southwards from Brooklands Avenue along Hobson’s Brook was called after him.
19/5/1933: Sir – the gravel footpath from Brooklands Avenue along Hobson’s River up Empty Common has long been known as Finch’s Walk. But how did it get its name? Some people call it Senior Wranglers’ Walk and connect it with the name of the Rev G.B. Finch who was Senior Wrangler in 1857. But he never mentioned that he had anything to do with it. In an 1834 deed relating to the Hobson’s Conduit Trust there is mention of two trustees called Charles Finch, one of whom died in 1762, who had a foundry and ironworks in Thompson’s Lane – W.D. Bushell. (Cambridge Press)