Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
42 Panton Street

42 (31) Panton Street, Providence House

History of 42 Panton Street

1901: (31)

George Hearne, 48, cab driver, b Hants

Martha Ann, 47, b Upwell

Edith Ellen, 20, b Cambridge

Albert Henry, 15, b Cambridge

May, 14, b Cambridge

Arthur, 12, b Cambridge

Alice Mary, 11, b Cambridge

Caroline, 7, b Cambridge

Stanley John, 6, b Cambridge

Percy Frederick, 4, b Cambridge

Mary Anne Roome [?], 27, boarder, living on own means, b London

Albert Henry Hearne : Second Lieutenant, Albert Henry Hearn, 1/2nd Battalion, attached 8th Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment. Killed in action 1st October 1917. Commemorated on Tyne Cot Memorial, Zonnebeke, Panels 50/51. See also Cambridge Guildhall (St Paul’s Roll of Honour).

In 1911 Albert Henry Hearne is a lance corporal in the 21st (Empress of India’s) Lancers stationed in Egypt. The 21st Lancers never saw action in Europe during WWI but it seems that Albert was  selected for officer training and reassigned.)

In 1911 the Hearne family were living at 26 Panton Street.

………………………….

1911: (31)

Ellen Maria Williams, 53, college bedmaker, b Norwich

Edith Wallace [?], 13,  b Beds.

…………………………………………………………

1913: (42)

Harry Edmund Stone

………………………………………………………….

Edward Joseph Clark: Private 16172, 2nd Battalion, Essex Regiment. Killed in action 13th May 1915. Born, enlisted and resident Cambridge. Commemorated on YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL, Ypres, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Panels 39. See also Cambridge Guildhall (St Paul’s Roll of Honour)

Claude Victor Emmerson: Private 40674, 10th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers. Killed in action 16th October 1917. Aged 30. Born Cambridge, enlisted East Ham, Essex, resident Hunstanton, Norfolk. Son of Mr. and Mrs. H. F. Emmerson, of 42, Panton St., Cambridge; husband of Agnes Emmerson, of 2, Charlbury Terrace, Hunstanton. Buried in CEMENT HOUSE CEMETERY, Langemark-Poelkapelle, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Plot I. Row K. Grave 3. See also Liverpool Street Station, London (St Paul’s Roll of Honour)

…………………………………………………………..

1962:

Philip Hall

…………………………………………………………….

Catherine Hall reminisced in 2001 about this house which she moved into in 1960. It is double fronted with the house door in the middle and the date MDCCCLI (1851) over it. She described the interior in detail:

When you went in, the front room on the right was an office and the back right-hand room had two steps down to a brick floor. The room is still extremely cold. It had decayed shelves, traces of a heavy outside blind, and iron rings in the kitchen from which hooks could hang. Across the passage was the parlour, and behind it the kitchen. The neighbour at 44 said that the cold room had been a tiny dairy.

Behind the houses was a communal cobbled yard with a well and cowsheds for half a dozen milking cows. the shed would have had haylofts above them. They backed onto St Eligius Street and in1901 were sold as cottages (nos. 1,3,5,7,9 & 11). The communal well was at the end of the garden of number 5 and at one time had the drains of the surrounding properties draining  into it. It is now concreted in.

On the other side of St Eligius Street, opposite the sheds, there was a straight, narrow passageway, a space now used by the Convent as a car park, that led to Brook Street and a little iron bridge, also dated 1851, which crosses Hobson’s Conduit. The path and the bridge would have been used by the cows going between the Providence House Dairy and Coe Fen. This little cow bridge has a bend in it.

(J Finch ‘Bull’s Milk Is Best’)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.