Search by topic
Search by text
Panton Street lies in Newtown, the area where Cambridge expanded in the years after the Enclosure Act of 1811. The ‘allotments’ of previously open arable land (here known as Ford Field or Barnwell Field), passed into private hands and could then be built on.
The northern end of Panton Street was originally called Henrietta Street. This part of the street is narrower; a successive developer chose to continue the street in a more spacious style. The lay-out of and approaches to the backs of at least two of the houses on the west side of Panton Street were designed to cater for milking cows from the Fens. (J Finch – ‘Bulls’s Milk is Best’)