Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Alma Pub

58 Russell Street, The Alma

History of 58 Russell Street

1835: earliest mention of public house here

1851: John Carroll, Beer Retailer (Gardner’s)

1852: John Carroll,  Beer Retailer (Slater’s)

1861:

Mary Carroll, Proprietor of Brewer, widow, 64, b Norfolk
George Carroll, son, Brewer, 20, b Cambridge

1881: George Carroll (Spalding’s)

1888: George Scales (Kellys)

1892: George Scales jun (Kellys)

1896: Daniel Martin Hayward  (Kellys)

……………………

1901: The Alma

John G C Moden, 31, publican,  b Cambridge

Emily J, 29, b Cambridge

……………………

1904: Daniel Martin Hayward (Kellys)

1909: brewing ceases on site

…………………..

1911: (58)

George Herbert Watts, 44, licensed victualler, b Cambridge

Hannah, 39, assisting with business, b Birmingham

Walter William, 18, insurance clerk, b Surrey

Louisa Amelia, 10, b Cambridge

Ruth Alice Gillet, servant, 15, b London

……………………

1913: H S Thompson

1916: Elijah Fletcher (Kellys)

1935: Elijah Fletcher (Kellys)

1962 – 2018:

The Alma P H

…………………….

Further information about the Alma can be found here.

……………………..

20/7/1982: The Alma Brewery in Russell Court is reopening as a free house under the control of CAMRA. The pub, which dates back to 1835, was one of the first buildings to be erected in the former Balls Folly Field. It took its name from the Battle of the Alma in the Crimean War. Brewing stopped in 1909 but it continued to be run as a pub until it closed in March. (Cambridge News)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.