Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

92 Russell Street, The Old Guinea, brewery

History of 92 Russell Street

1840s: henry Richards moved to the pub

1851: Hy. Richards (Gardner’s)

1852: Henry Richards, Beer Retailer (Slaters)

1861:

Gertrude Richards, Brewer & Publican, Widow, 47, b Cambridge
Gertrude S Richards, Daughter, Schoolmistress, 21, b Cambridge
Henry D Richards, Son, Railway Clerk, 19, b Cambridge
Jane M Richards, Daughter, 16, b Cambridge
Arthur H Richards, Son, 14, b Cambridge
Harriett M Richards, Daughter, 12, b Cambridge
Esther H Richards, Daughter, 5, b Cambridge
Frederick W Richards, Son, 3, b Cambridge
William Burgess, Boarder, Railway Inspector, 23, b Cambridge

1869: H D Richards (Post Office Directory)

1871: John Oakley jun, Census

1879: Thos. Buttress (Post Office)

1883: Thomas Buttress (Kellys)

1888: Alexander Wells (Kellys)

1892: Alexander Wells (Kellys)

1896: Alexander Wells (Kellys)

…………………….

1901: The Old Guinea

John H Dickinson, 43, publican, b Ireland

William C, 9, b Surrey

…………………….

1904: Charles Fredk Harper (Kellys)

……………………

1911: (92) [no mention of PH]

Charles Frederick Harper, 45, engine fitter china stores, b Norfolk

Hannah E, 48, b Norfolk

Kathleen M, 21, assisting at home, b Essex

Phoebe E, 18, b Essex

Maude M, 14, b Chesterton

……………………..

1913: The Old Guinea – C F Harper

1916: Charles Frederick Harper

…………………………

1937 03 05 (Cambridge News) :Magistrates heard that the Old Guinea public house in Russell Street was owned by the Star Brewery who had redecorated it and fitted a new fire and sink. There were seven fully-licensed houses and two off-licences within 400 yards. The Burleigh Arms in Burleigh Street was a beerhouse which provided a living for the tenant who found great difficulty in getting any work. The Rabbit in Gold Street was a comfortable little house; it had two extremely nice trade rooms and Green King had put in new windows. The residents of East Road might be ‘scared off a big place. The Cross Keys in Saxon Street was the only beer house in the neighbourhood which had five fully-licences housed within 400 yards. Beer was drawn straight from the wood, which was an attraction and trade was good. (Mike Petty archives)

……………………..

1937 07 02 (Cambridge News): Magistrates heard that the Old Guinea public house in Russell Street was redundant: it sold a little over two barrels of beer a week and there were nine other premises within 400 yards. The Star Brewery was happy for it to close. But brewers Greene King opposed the closure of the The Rabbit in Gold Street. It was a nice clean little house and they had recently made alterations and repairs. It was close to the Burleigh Arms in Burleigh Street and they would not oppose closing that instead. This was agreed. (Mike Petty archives)

…………………..

1962:

Mrs B Holland

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.