Search by topic
Search by text
St Anthony's Almshouses
SS Anthony and Eligius Almshouses, St Anthony Street
History of SS Anthony and Eligius almshouses, St Anthony Street
The hospital dedicated to St Anthony and St Eligius was established in c.1361 by Henry de Tangmer for the reception of sufferers from leprosy. It became known as the Spital House but with the decline of the disease the house became a refuge for the elderly poor. It stood originally on the east side of Trumpington Street, not far from the junction with Lensfield Road, but was pulled down in 1852 because the buildings projected over the pavement. The inmates were moved to new buildings in Panton Street.
- Sarah wade, 67, inmate of almshouse, b Cambs
- Ellen Freeman, 68, b Cambridge; Alice M Rawlins, 36, servant, b Cambridge
- Mary Feast, 87, b Cambs; Margaret Parfitt, 12, servant, b Cambridge
- Hannah Sheldrick, 65, b Hunts
- Maria Mullitt [?], widow, 25, b Norfolk
1911: St Anthony’s Buildings
- Mary Presland, 82, b Cambridge
- Ellen Freeman, 70, private means, b Cambridge; Alice Mary Rawlings, 46, companion, b Cambridge.
- Harriet Wisbey, 74, widow, private means, b Cambs.
- Emily Buckle, 76, widow, old age pension, b Norfolk.
- Martha Noble, 83, widow, old age pensioner, b Cambridge
- Ann Elizabeth Ingle, 77, widow, rap, b Cambridge
- Miss Presland
- Miss Ellen Freeman
- Mrs Wisbey
- Mrs Buckle
- Mrs Parr
- Mrs Gifford
1962: St Anthony and St Eligius almshouses