Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Peter­borough
  • /
  • Eyebury
  • Back Forward
An 1885 Ordnance Survey map showing Oxney House, featuring a cluster of buildings surrounded by a moat and scattered trees.

Oxney Grange OS 1885

Oxney Grange, Eye

History of Oxney Grange

The estate at Oxney is recorded in 956 AD. In 973 it is described as an island in the fens containing 25 acres of wood, grazing land and meadows. Its status grew and by 1249 permission was granted for an annual 8 day fair.

At the time of the Dissolution there were three brothers and the annual income was only £4.

A substantial part of the grange was incorporated into the house in the 17th century. the ground floor structure is still that of the 12th century. There are the remains of a moat.

A black-and-white view of Oxney Grange, showing a stone and brick building with multiple chimneys and a small car parked.

Oxney Grange, Eye (Religious Houses of Cambs, 1988)

Tags

  • Religious House

Projects

  • Eyebury

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Eyebury

Barham Hall, Bartlow Road, Linton

104 – 106 Chesterton Road, Kasenga, Carmelite Convent, Cambridge

Eyebury Farmhouse, site of monastic grange, Peterborough

Tanholt Farm, Eye