Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Petersfield Cambridge
  • /
  • Collier Road
  • Back Forward

Girls’ County School, Collier Road, Cambridge

History of the Girls' County School

Built 1900

A 1925 Ordnance Survey map extract showing the layout of Collier Road and the nearby Arts, Crafts, and Technology School.

Cambridge 1925 OS map

In WWI this was a temporary depot for the Cambridgeshire Regiment.

28 October 1938
The Cambridge & County Girls School started in 1900 in the Drill Hall, East Road, then known as the Technical Institute. By 1903 they overflowed into rooms belonging to the Zion Chapel Sunday School and it was not until 1909 that they moved to the present buildings, retiring headmistress, Miss Dovey said. But in August 1914, when war broke out, the school was taken possession of by the Welsh Fusiliers and other regiments. For a year the school was housed in Emmanuel College lecture rooms and St Andrew’s Street Sunday School. Soon they would move to new premises in Long Road
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge East Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, references 38 10 28 & a.

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • school
  • world war one

Projects

  • Collier Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Collier Road

Slepe Hall, St Ives

audio documents

Morley Memorial School, Blinco Grove, Cambridge

24 Fore Hill, Royal Standard, Ely

23 Collier Road

29 Collier Road

15 Collier Road

1 Collier Road

3 (2) Collier Road

25 Collier Road

37 Collier Road

35 Collier Road

Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology

11 Collier Road