2-8 (15 -18) Mill Street
History of 2-9 Mill Streeet
The modern numeration of Mill Street appears in the 1901 census whereby these cottages are nos. 2 – 8. In the 1881 and 1891 census the dame properties were numbered 15, 16, 17 and 18.
4 Mill Street
A history of the ownership of this site prepared in 1947 shows the following:
15/7/1870 transfer from Mary Ann Seymour of the four cottages to James Webster (butler) for £480.
1/6/1906 sale of cottages nos. 2,4,6,8, Mill Street to Elizabeth Page
17/3/1947 following Elizabeth Page’s death the property passed into the control of her executor George Sydney Watson Page. On 11/8/1947 no.4 Mill Street was sold to Violet Watson.
The document records that cottages were built by Mary Ann Seymour’s husband, John Francis Seymour. The map of the 1870 transfer shows the location of the interested parties. On the corner of Mill Street and Covent Garden was Mr W W Featherstonaugh (brewer), presumably landlord of the Six Bells. On the south side of the pub in Covent Garden was the residence of Mrs Seymour. The four cottages were adjacent to the Six Bells on the plots which ran as far as Caius Street (now Glisson Road).
The Seymours can be found in the 1851 census living in Jesus Lane. Ann Seymour (80) widow was a publican born in Bucks. Her son John Francis Seymour (40) b. Cambs. was a milkman; his wife Mary Ann was aged 39 b. London. With them lived their nieces Elizabeth Frances Hawkins (13) and Ann Toakley (22) as well as a lodger Elijah Frisby (35).
In 1861 they are still in Jesus Lane (no.22). John is a milkman and with him lives Mary Ann, niece Ann Toakley (their assistant), and servant Mary Salmon.
John died in April 1870 and by July the houses were sold to James Webster. In 1871 Mary Ann Seymour appears to living on her own at 5 Fleet Street, Bethnal Green and working as a charwoman.
James Webster b. 1822 was a butler working at Downing College. In 1851 he is a porter at the college; in 1861 he is butler at Downing with wife Emma, five children and their own servant. In 1871 we find James working as butler at a house in Dover Street, Westminster. In 1881 he is Downing college butler again and lives in college with his wife Anne (52) and son Edward (27). In 1901 he is living ‘on his own means’ with his wife, daughter Susan Tamsand two grandchildren at 58 Regent Street. By 1911 he is a widower and still with his daughter Susan, also a widow, at 81 Regent Street. James died in 1917.
Frederick Baker, 38, coachman, b Essex
Margaret Elizabeth, 41, b Warwicks
William Harry, 12, b Trumpington
Edith Grace, 10, b Trumpington
Wilfred Arthur, 6, b Cambridge
Margaret Winifred, 1, b Cambridge
William Harry Baker: Private 718263, 23rd (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment. Died of wounds 25 May 1918. Aged 19. Born Trumpington, enlisted Bury St Edmunds, resident Cambridge. Son of Frederick and Margaret E. Baker, of 12, Hardwick Street, Newnham Croft, Cambridge. Formerly 373314, 9th Battalion, London Regiment. In the 1911 census he was aged 12, son of Frederick and Margret Elizabeth Baker, at school, born Trumpington, resident with his parents at 2 Mill Street, Cambridge. Buried in FRANVILLERS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, Somme, France. Plot I. Row C, Grave 3. See also Cambridge Guildhall and Cambridge St Mark’s (Royal Mail Roll of Honour)