Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

102 Gwydir Street

History of 102 Gwydir Street

Additional information about the succession of occupants has been taken from the list found here.

1867: Lot 7 of land off Mill Road sold to Thomas Blewett, engineer

…………

1867-1891: Thomas Blewett builds seven houses which become 102 – 114 Gwydir Street

………….

1881: (rented)

William H Ayres, 42, railway guard, b Berks

Elizabeth, 45, b Newmarket

William E, printer compositor, b Newmarket

Chales H, 15, b Newmarket

Frank, 12, b Newmarket

Blanche, 9, b Newmarket

……….

1891: (rented)

Edward Morrell

………..

1891: Thomas Blewett died and properties were left his daughter Catherine Anne Blewett of Kensington, and the income to his wife Elizabeth who died in 1895.

……….

1901:

……….

1904: (rented) Mrs Brinter

………..

1911: (rented)

William Matthew Butler, 49, GER railway engine driver, b Cambridge

Elizabeth, 49, b Herts

Emma Martha, 22, dressmaker, b Cambridge

William George Barham, grandson, 9, b Cambridge

……….

1912: Alfred Cook of 174 Gwydir Street purchased 102 Gwydir Street from Catherine Anne Blewitt for £230.

………..

1913: (rented)

Mrs Clark

………

1928: Alfred Cook’s widow, Emma, sells 102 Gwydir Street to the tenants, Francis and Florence Gray

……….

1939:

Francis Gray, b 1876, clerk haulage

Florence, b 1883

Herbert W, b 1915, tester sc[ience] institute

Ernest Charles, b 1919, hairdresser

?

………

1956:

Arthur Frederick Hewitt of 50 East Road purchase 102 Gwydir Street from Florence Gray.

………..

1962:

Arthur Hewitt (Kelly’s)

………..

1978: Arthur Frederick Hewitt dies

………..

1987: Dorothy Priscilla Hewitt dies

………..

1988:

102 Gwydir Street sold by executors

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.