Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
75 Norfolk Street

75 (41) Norfolk Street, Alex Wood Hall

History of 75 Norfolk Street

1881: (41)

(41)

Joseph South, 27, pawn broker’s assistant, b Brighton

Jane, 26, b Brighton

Joseph R, 3, b Cambridge

Jane A, 9mos, b Cambridge

Lydia Kent, servant, 13, b Cambridge

(41a)

James Leggett, 51, plasterer, b London

Charlotte, 52, b Bottisham

Florence, 10, b Cambridge

(41b)

George Cousins, 30, tailor, b Devon

Lizzie, 37, waitress, b Cambridge

Fred G, 7, b Devon

James, 4, b Cambridge

Clara, 3, b Cambridge

Nellie, 2mos, b Cambridge

Elizabeth, 24, sister, b Devon

Harriett Howard, servant, 13, b Bottisham

………..

1891: (75)

Thomas Molyon, 61, miller, b Ickleton

……….

1901:

William H Franklin, 26, printer’s machine minder, b Cambridge

Ada, 26, b Cambridge

……….

1913:

Harry Franklin, printer

………

1927:

Cambridge Trades Council and Labour Party buy the old malting house in Norfolk Street / Norfolk Terrace and converted it for use as the party headquarters. George Lansbury MP opens the renovated building.

……….

1939:

Harry Gauge, b 1887, garage attendant

Winnie, b 1894

Sydney Smith, b 1910, radio engineer

Eva M Smith, b 1920

……….

1962:

Harry Gauge

………..

1986:

The new Alex Wood Hall is opened by Brenda Dean, general Secretary of SOGAT, as a replacement for the old HQ building which had deteriorated. Part of the site had been sold for housing in order to fund the construction of a modern hall with two storeys of offices.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.