Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Caxton
  • Back Forward
A monochrome print shows an old multi-story building with a clock, gabled roof, and a low picket fence along the street.

George Inn Caxton

Caxton Manor House, (The George) 53 Ermine Street

History of Caxton Manor House

A three-story red brick building with white sash windows, a central arched doorway, and dormer windows along the roofline.

53 Ermine Street

Listed Building:

Manor house, at one time The George Coaching Inn. Late C16, refronted in early C18 with C19 and C20 alterations.

A black-and-white print showing a two-story brick building with two peaked wings, a central greenhouse, and a large window.

George Inn Caxton

A multi-story brick building with a conservatory faces a cobblestone courtyard, featuring stone steps leading to a side door.

George Inn Caxton

A large inglenook fireplace with vessels on the mantel and a wooden chair positioned to the side in a monochrome print.

George Inn Caxton

In 1793 the George was kept by Robert Fuller and no coach stopped here.

In 1839 Joseph Cannon was landlord and the Regent Coach, to and from Stamford, stopped here on each journey.

1847 – 1864 William Kidman the farmer

In 1864 the learned American blacksmith Elihu Burritt stayed here on his walk from London to the north of Scotland. He describes the town as a small rambling village, which looked as if it had not shaved or washed its face and put on a clean shirt for a shocking length of time. He out up at the ‘George’ and mentions the low jointed roof and brick floor. he ate his supper at a little round table inside the outspreading chimney, which contained trammels, spit and hooks of the 15th century, and when he looked up he could see the stars over the outlet of the chimney. (W M Palmer 1926 Notes on Caxton) Burritt also said: There was only one coaching inn in the town, but it had contracted itself into the fag-end of a large, dark, seedy-looking building, where it lived by selling beer and other sharp and cheap drinks to the villagers.

1875 William Pateman

1880 ceased to be an inn.

1939

The brick George Inn, with an ivy-covered facade and a clock tower, stands beside a street receding into the distance.

George Inn, Caxton, 1939 (photo E Rolleston) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

A three-story, stone manor house with an 18th-century facade, prominent chimneys, a small clock tower, and a leafless tree.

Caxton Manor c.1600 refronted 18th cent. (RCHM)

A black and white view of the brick Manor House showing gabled roofs, chimneys, a glass porch, and a small yard in front.

Caxton Manor c.1600 from NW. (RCHM)

 

Tags

  • farm
  • Inn
  • Listed building
  • tudor

Projects

  • Caxton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Caxton

The Manor House, High Street, Little Wilbraham

41 Park Street

332 High Street, Cottenham

39 Ermine Street, Caxton

11 Ermine Street, Caxton

Caxton Gibbet

Drinking Fountain at Junction of Bourne Road and Ermine Street, Caxton

Caxton Hall, St Peters Street

41 Ermine Street, The Dolls House, Caxton

Baptist Chapel, Ermine Street, Caxton

Firs Farmhouse, St Peters Street, Caxton

121 Ermine Street, Milestone Cottage, Caxton

104 Ermine Street, St Agnes Cottage, Caxton