Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
221 High Street Cottenham

219 – 221 (155) High Street, White Horse, The Limes, Cottenham

History of 219 - 221 High Street

Listed building:

Villa, c1860. Local gault brick with slate roof, hipped, and two symmetrical internal stacks with cut brickwork to upper courses.

See Francis Garrett: Cottenham’s Inns and Hostelries.

This was probably the largest of the Cottenham Inns. Belonging from the 17th century to the Dowsing family it was occupied by Thomas Branscombe, who was made licensee in 1730.

1753: Alice Dowsing licensee, followed by son, William Tenison Dowsing. House was called the Grey Horse, the Yorkshire Grey.

1786: called the White Horse

1792: Ann Dowsing, then Robert Norman, her husband, ran the house and brewery.

……………….

1829: Robert Norman died; Richard took over the business.

………………

1850: house and brewery destroyed in great fire of April 1850, then managed by 22 year old Richard Haddow Norman.

Grandmother, Ann Norman, gave part of the burnt out site of the White Horse to another grandson, Norman Smith, who built “The Limes”.

……………….

1851:

Norman Smith, 24, farmer 57 acres employing 3 labourers, b Cottenham

……………

1861: approx.

Norman Smith, 34, farm 110 acres employing 4 men, b Cottenham

……………..

1891:

Charles Hayden Cox, 34, registered general practitioner

………………

1901:

Charles H Cox, surgeon

……………….

1911:

Charles Hayden Cox, b 1854, physician and surgeon, b Dublin

………………..

1939: (155)

Robert Ellis, b 1884, doctor of medicine (Major RAMC retired)

Ethel, b 1885 ( WVS leader Cottenham)

Pamela Bruce-Clarke, b 1915 (driver of car first aid party)

………………….

Current: (221)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.