Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
327 High Street, Cottenham

327 (219) High Street, The Spread Eagle, Red Bull, Bedford House, Cottenham

History of 327 High Street, Cottenham

See Francis Garrett: Cottenham’s Inns and Hostelries

1831 – 1842: The Spread Eagle: Robert Defew. It belonged to George Cockle and was sold in 1842 to John Cole.

…………..

1947:

House burned down. Rebuilt by Cole as Red Bull, beer house.

……………

1851:

John Cole, 52, basket maker employing 2 men and publican, b Soham

………….

1853:

Property sold at auction. Described as: a truly desirable property is situated in the High Street. The house and buildings have been recently erected in a very superior and most substantial manner and are well adapted for a public house, for which purpose they were used a short time since, when the Proprietor sold therefrom in one year upwards of 100 barrels of beer.

………….

1861: approx.

Thomas Rowell, 47, farmer 45 acres and dealer employing 3 men 1 boy, b London

…………

1871:

Benjamin Charles Pinchard, 69, physician and general practitioner, b Beds

………..

1881:

Isabella F Pinchard, 50, formerly surgeons wife, b Cottenham

………..

1891: Bedford House

Isabella Pinchard, 60, living on own means, b Cottenham

……………

1901:

Isabella Pinchard

 

William Ward, 34, ag.lab

…………..

1911: approx.

William Ward, 43, farm labourer, b Chittering

 

Emma Ansell, 58, widow, b Duxford

……………..

1939: approx.

Archibald Graves, b 1889, farmer

 

Oswin J Blunt, b 1911, laboratory assistant physiology research instrument maker lathe

 

William K S Randall, b 1910, builders labourer

 

Henry Benerson, b 1870, agricultural labourer

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.