Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Elsworth
  • Back Forward
A stone building with a dark grey slate roof, multiple tall chimneys, bay windows, and an arched entrance on a grassy slope.

Old School, Elsworth (RGL2025)

Old School, Elsworth, Brook Street

History of school

In 1847 the village school was opened in Brook Street. It was founded by the national Society for the Education of the Poor. The Rector, Philip Bagge, gave the land at the bottom of the Causeway in Brook Street and was sole Manager and Correspondent.

Schooling took place in Brook Street until 1946 when the building was considered unsafe.

See The Church and Village of Elsworth (2006)

Tags

  • school

Projects

  • Elsworth

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Elsworth

Histon School

National School, Wisbech Road, Littleport

Panton House, Perse School for Girls

The Plough, Elsworth

Disbrowe Cottage, 28 & 30 Brook Street, Elsworth

Meadow Farm, 9 Broad End, Elsworth

Homeland Cottages, 1 & 3 Church Lane, Elsworth

11 Church Lane, Elsworth

Stream, Elsworth

3 & 5 Brook Street, Elsworth

Dears Farmhouse, 2 & 4 Fardells Lane, Elsworth

Alma Cottage, 13 Broad End, Elsworth

3 Duncock Lane, Elsworth