Search by topic
Search by text
Four Mile House, Cambridge Road, Shelford
History of Four Mile House, Great Shelford
House mainly c.1700 but incorporating part of C15 house in rear wing. C19 and C20 minor alterations and additions. Timber framed, plaster rendered and pargetted panels. Steeply pitched, plain tiled roof with original moulded wood eaves. Cornice and red brick ridge stack at junction of front and rear ranges. Two ranges forming an L-plan. Two storeys. Fenestration of three flush frame hung sashes with vertical glazing bars, mid-C19. At ground floor three hung sashes, including two with sixteen panes. Off-centre doorway. Early C19 doorcase with moulded architrave, flat hood and panelled door. Interior: The rear range contains part of a C15 open-hall which has been remodelled in C17. Most of a tie beam with substantial arch bracing survives and, in the roof above the sooted rafters on one side, are now incorporated in typical C17 staggered butt purl in roof. The front range is in three bays with a narrower stair and entry bay. The internal details, e.g. the staircase with toads-back mahogany rail and square section balusters to the open-string, are of the early C19. The roof over this front part of the house is also of a similar butt-purlin type. The house was the home of G.G. Coulton, the medieval historian.
G G Coulton’s daughter wrote a book about her father and the house – “Father” by Sarah Campion.
Dyne family lived here
Two German airman baled out and were caught in a culvert nearby. Gunfire from action at Dunkirk could be heard from the house. A milestone was buried in the drive in the belief that being hidden, German soldiers wouldn’t be able to orientate themselves.